Sometimes sweet . . . Sometimes tart . . . Always a slice of life.

Friday, December 24, 2010

Mom's Mended Heart

The news on my mom is good. The surgery went very well. Hours after the surgery, she was sitting up and eating. When I talked to her today she said that the doctors told her that when her ability to walk improves, she’ll be able to go home. Her walking is a little wobbly because they took an artery out of her leg to replace one of the arteries to her heart. So, she has been doing laps in the hospital holding onto a wheelchair to keep her balance.
            She had the surgery on Wednesday and the doctors anticipated her staying in the hospital for a week. Now, it looks like she might be able to go home on Sunday. I’m sure that she would love to be home on Sunday, because that is my parents’ 57th wedding anniversary. So, she definitely has a goal while doing her laps.
My dad told me that the nurses have been taking great care of her. That didn’t surprise me. My mom’s a sweetheart, very easy to like. My sister and her husband bought a mini-Christmas tree for her room and will take her presents to her on Christmas day. My brother, who lives on Maui, and I will just have to be content talking to her on the phone for now.
            My flight is booked for Monday. I hope that my sister Cynthia can keep Mom from doing any cleaning or cooking until I’m there to take that over. She’ll have her hands full trying to prevent that. Mom told me that she’s bored in the hospital.
            Thank you for all your prayers and good wishes. They’re working!

Laura Keolanui Stark can be reached at stark.laura.k@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment