Sometimes sweet . . . Sometimes tart . . . Always a slice of life.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Zumba for the New Year!



        2013 is knocking on the door, and one of the all-time top new year’s resolutions is to get in shape. For six years I’ve been shaking it and sweating in ZumbaR  classes. If you’ve decided to Zumba yourself into shape, I’ve got some pointers for you.

       Even though Zumba was invented by a man, Beto Perez, most of the people in my Zumba class are
women, so my advice is more female oriented.
        Before you go to class, get two good pairs of shoes. 
Nike Musique IV shoes with pivot point.
Nike makes Musique dance/cheer shoes that have a pivot point under the ball of the foot. Cross training shoes are also good. I’ve found that heel support is not as important as a shoe that can flex, because I dance more up on the balls of my feet than on my heels. Running shoes can trip you up when you move side to side. You can use them, but beware. Two pairs of shoes allow you to alternate them so they won't wear out as fast.

Absorbent socks are a good thing. When I get home from Zumba, I put my shoes in front of a heating vent to help them dry out.

After you’re done shoe shopping, pick up a few good, supportive, sports bras. Be prepared. A whole lotta shakin’ and shimmying goes on in class. You can wear anything over the sports bra, a tight tank top, a loose t-shirt, or whatever you’re most comfortable in. If you get too hot, and you're daring enough, you can go with just the sports bra.

I usually pull my hair up in a pony tail to keep it out of my face. Others use head bands, or have the foresight and time to braid their hair. Some have short hair and don’t need to do a thing.

As for what to wear on your lower half, in my class, there’s a lot of variety: Yoga pants, capris, running shorts, and tennis skirts, depending mostly on the temperature outside. Fabrics made to wick away moisture are the way to go. Keep in mind that dark colors are better at hiding sweat.
Sometimes for fun I’ll wear a belly dance hip scarf over my yoga pants. Keeping the coins jingling on beat is a challenge, and I like to think of it as doing Zumba with weights.
Don't buy too many new workout clothes though because it probably won't be long before you have to buy more in smaller sizes. Zumba melts the fat off quickly.

Finally, before you leave home, fill up a water bottle. You’ll need at least 20 ounces to stay hydrated during an hour of 600-800 calorie burning Zumba. Some people like ice in their water. I prefer mine room temperature. Smart Water with electrolytes is another option. If I’m doing a 90-minute class, I’ll bring either two 20 oz. water bottles, two bottles of G-Series Performance Gatorade, or a combination of both.

Now that you’re ready, on to class. Get there before class to meet the teacher, and fill out any forms. Trust me, everybody’s nervous before their first Zumba class. Will you know the steps? No. Will you make mistakes? Yes. Will everybody be watching you? No, unless you make the mistake of standing in the front row.

Don’t stand in the front row until you’ve been doing Zumba for awhile and know most of the routines. If you stand in the back, staggered between the two people in front of you, you will be able to watch everybody in front of you and follow them even if you can’t see the teacher. The gals in the front row usually know what they’re doing, and when they started, they started in the back. It won’t take long before you too will know the difference between a cha cha and salsa, hip hop and belly dancing. Then the new people will be pushing you up to the front row.

My Halloween Zumba class.
Put your water bottle, somewhere nearby, but not where anyone can trip on it. You can grab a drink between songs. Introduce yourself to the people around you because sooner or later, you’ll be turning the wrong way and running into them, so you may as well get to know them before hand. They were all beginners before, so they know how you feel. A quick smile and the ability to laugh at yourself go a long way toward making class fun.

One of the great things about Zumba is that you don’t have time to over analyze what you’re doing or fret over any mistakes you make. If everybody is moving left, you better be too, even if your footwork isn’t perfect. Keep moving with the school of fish. Don’t stop dead or you’ll get run over. The music dictates how fast you better be moving.

Sometimes you can divide how fast you move your feet in half if you need to, but you’ve still got to pay attention to the beat. If you can’t find the beat, find someone else’s feet to watch, or if there’s a cowbell clanging, follow it. When I get lost, I focus on correcting my feet first, arms second. You can adjust your movements to be high energy, or low impact. When you’re just starting out, don’t go too big or it’s hard to recover and get back to where you should be. As with anything, the more you practice, they better you'll get, so keep showing up for class if you want to improve.

Ready for a Zumba flash mob.
With thousands of Zumba miles on my many pairs of dancing shoes, the thing that keeps me going back for more, is that I don’t think of it as grueling exercise that I have to endure. It’s an energy filled dance party that I get to go to five or more times a week. There are new songs and routines to figure out each week. My teachers also rotate and keep things fresh. Each one has her own style or “flava.”

Before every class, before the music takes over, my Zumba Maniacs teachers call out to us, “Bend your knees! Pick up your feet! Have fun!” That’s not hard to do at all!


Laura Keolanui Stark will Zumba-on through 2013. She can be reached at stark.laura.k@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment